Thursday, May 24, 2007

7-30-06 Back to School





August 30, 2006

Back to School

It’s all around us: the activities of going back to school. Cheers and tears from parentsand severe depression for those who hold the empty wallets in one hand and the tuitionbills in the other. Most of the younger kids are making their way through the various stages of grief as well. They spent the longest time in denial. But no matter how long you hold your breath under water at the pool in your attempt to keep summer from ending, eventually you do have to come up for air. Let the rituals of Fall begin. It was always my job to take those pool pruney people shopping for back to school clothes and it was Coach Wonderful’s job to don his polyester shorts and loop the whistle around his neck as the unspoken truth trumpeted in our hearts: “Football’s here – Goodbye dear”.


That was always bad news until I learned to live the Good News life. I have two things I need to continually speak to myself: It’s not about me! And, I’m the adult! There should be no whining in life when we have a Savior that lives in our hearts so we can love from Him out to others. Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom" (NLT). Its wisdom to realize that school is never out – life is school and we never stop leaning and God never says Goodbye. Verse 14 says, "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives" (NLT). That does remind me that I'm getting nearer the end of life all the time. No getting around it, I'm getting older. But no matter how old I get, I'm still learning that I have so much more to learn. Very interesting, I'm finding as I'm getting older that I'm pruney without staying under water at the pool. Who knew? Still learning! What joy!

A Pearl to String: Mac jock family motto delivered via Muhammad Ali: If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.

Dancing in the End Zone with Jesus,
Lyndi

No comments: