Sunday, May 27, 2007

4-25-07 Gossip Need No Carriage























April 25, 2007

GOSSIP NEEDS NO CARRIAGE

A half-truth is a whole lie.
Jewish Proverb

With sunshine and warmth filling most of our days we feel so good and enjoy each other’s company so much that the possibilities of lowering our lip guard grow strong. My mind is bursting with trouble shooting thoughts. Most people know what gossip is and the Word of God reveals very specific directions to this ilk.

Telling lies about someone is as harmful as hitting him with an ax, or wounding him with a sword, or shooting him with a sharp arrow. Proverbs 25:18/TLB

Our mothers’ advice in this area still holds true, "If you can’t say something nice about someone; don’t say anything at all”

A woman repeated a bit of gossip about a neighbor. Within a few days the whole community knew the story. The person it concerned was deeply hurt and offended. Later, the woman responsible for spreading the rumor learned that it was completely untrue. She was very sorry and went to a wise old sage to find out what she could do to repair the damage.
“Go to the marketplace,” he said, “and purchase a chicken, and have it killed. Then on your way home, pluck its feathers and drop them one by one along the road.” Although surprised by this advice, the woman did what she was told.
The next day the wise man said, “Now, go and collect all those feathers you dropped yesterday and bring them back to me.”
The woman followed the same road, but to her dismay, the wind had blown all the feathers away. After searching for hours, she returned with only three in her hand. “You see,” said the old sage, “it’s easy to drop them, but it’s impossible to get them back. So it is with gossip. It doesn’t take much to spread a rumor, but once you do, you can never completely undo the wrong.”


An evil man sows strife; gossip separates the best of friends. Proverbs 16:28/TLB

Ann Landers wrote a column years ago that has always stuck to my heart:
My name is Gossip.
I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives.
I am cunning, malicious and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted, the more I am believed.
I flourish at every level of society.
My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become.
I am nobody’s friend.
Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.
I topple governments and wreck friendships and marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartaches and indigestion. I spawn suspicion and generate grief. I make innocent people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses.
I am called GOSSIP. School - On-line gossip – Party gossip – Telephone gossip – Locker room gossip. I make headlines and headaches. REMEMBER, before you repeat a story, ask yourself: Is it true? Is it fair? Is it necessary?? If not, do not repeat it. KEEP QUIET.


IF YOU SCATTER THORNS, DON’T GO BAREFOOT!!!


You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people; nor shall you take a stand against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. Leviticus 19:16

A Pearl to String: Something that became very interesting to me years ago is what I call “Christian Gossip”. That is where a brother or sister comes to their church or small group and reveals the intimate details of someone’s pain for the purpose of prayer. Not necessary, I call that a gossip craving satisfaction under the guise of Holymess! God never says OOPS! God knows everything and every need. I don’t need to give Him details – I just need to pray for my brother or sister and let the Holy Spirit guide me.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Philippians 4:8/NIV

Whispering sweet some-things to Jesus about you,
Lyndi

No comments: