Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A TRIBUTE to Mom and Dad by Mike McCartney 1994


Mom and Dad, my life is richer because you have given so much to me. Together, you have taught me love, honor, respect, responsibility, devotion discipline, ethics, morals and commitment. I’ve learned from your words and I’ve learned from your actions. You provided a safe and Godly environment to grow up in. There are so many great memories that I have of growing up. I want to share them here with you so that you will always know my appreciation for you.

Mom, you are the most tender, loving person I know. You make everyone feel so comfortable, never judging anyone. Your caring nature is obvious to anyone who knows you, not to mention your devotion to our family. I love you and hold you in the highest regard.

Mom, the most special times I’ve shared with you have been our 3 driving trips, especially the one to North Carolina. Yes it was the longest, yet it also gave us the most timed to talk, It was such a great honor to hear of your past, your dreams, your struggles, and your love for Dad and the family. At the conclusion of the drive to Kansas, saying good-bye was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

As I reminisce about growing up, so many moments come to mind. I want to thank you for attending every Little League baseball and basketball game, even when they started in the early hours. Thanks for believing that every injury was legitimate, despite 16 broken fingers. Your tenderness and affection when I was sick and the way you, rubbed my stomach and special memories. You taught me how to drive a stick shift. You demonstrated the importance of tithing by giving me a dollar for church when I was young. Two other memories truly stand out and are of such significance to me. Your devotion to Dad, and knowing that Jenni was the one from the onset, welcoming and loving her into our family.

Dad, you are a man of tremendous integrity, principle and character. I admire the work ethic and discipline in your life. Everything you ever get involved in seems to be great or turn great. You have so many talents and are unquestionably the greatest source for me to turn to for advice. You taught me how to be gracious in defeat and humble in victory. (You had much more practice at humbleness) I am grateful that I always knew of your great love and affection for Mom and you children. I love and respect you very much.

Dad, Saturday’s when you were a basketball coach were very special days. We would start out at the donut shop before practice. Shooting hoops and being around the players were great times. I still remember you trying to teach me what double dribble meant. Following practice, we would often head to Miller’s Bar for the best burgers in town. I also remember state playoff games at the Silverdome, watching Mark “The Bird” Fidrych pitch, and chapel services at Tiger Stadium. Lunch at the Michigan training table, sideline passes, making sure I got into the locker room after the Rose Bowl win, and all of your stirring pre-game talks (I’ll never forget the 15 rounds at Oklahoma) are great memories. I loved being a “coaches’ kid”, even if it meant getting booed in the sixth grade upon returning from the Rose Bowl. Thanks for the sex talk driving to Indiana, I remember marveling at your words as we constructed the best poem for Tommy Hearns.

Mom and Dad, you have added so much to my life, yet the greatest gift you have given to me was showing me the door to eternal life. Dad, thanks for leading the family in daily devotions and teaching us about the love of Christ. Mom, thanks for your example of servant hood. I thank you both for praying over me and illustrating God’s love daily. I have learned so much from each of you and strive to be more like you. Dad, you’re my example of being a Godly man at home and at work. And Mom, if I could be as selfless as you, I would truly be fortunate, as well as those around me. I have been blessed beyond measure and owe it to the two of you. Mom and Dad, I love honor and thank you.
Mike

No comments: