Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Footprints to Follow by Tom McCartney 1994


Two sets of footprints represent the good times. One set of footprints represents the tough times. The Lord says where there is one set of footprints; those are the times that I carried you. Mom and Dad, thank you for the footprints that you have left, the Lord has blessed the two of you and your children follow in your footprints.

Dad, you raised our family to seek the Lord. Thank you for all those nights we turned off The television and you read from the Bible. Thank you for all those mornings you prayed over each of us, and thank you for never missing church on Sunday, and always including us to say the Rosary with you in the car.

Mom, your treasure on earth was your family. The Lord blessed you with many talents:
Playing the piano, playing the guitar, teaching, singing and writing. However, the gift you choose as a career, was loving your family. Thank you For the sacrifices you have made to be with your Family and the footprints that you have left.

Mom and Dad, thank you for modeling to your family the key to living, which is giving. Mom, I remember when I was a teenager and you asked me if I was going to Marc’s baseball game, and I said “no”. You told me how you had brought Marc to all of my games and how much it would mean to him if I came to his game. Mom, thank you for going to my games and thank you for teaching me, by example, how to give to others. Dad, I recall times when family members and you were in a disagreement. Before too long, I always remember seeing you go first to the family member and ask for their forgiveness. Dad, forgiving and giving equals living and you and mom make a great team.

John 4:38 “I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”

Mom and Dad you are leaving a legacy behind you. Thank you for building our home on a strong foundation. I thought about separate tributes for each of you, but the two of you have never been separate. I love you both and I ask for your forgiveness. Mom you once told me that I didn’t have a clue and you were right. I have taken my loved ones for granted. Why do we take our loved ones for granted? I believe it is because the two of you have always been there for me and both of you have been servants to me. Forgive me, because I have not been a servant back to you. Mom, I have always wanted to marry someone like you and the Lord has blessed me. Dad, I have always wanted to be just like you.

Thank you for your footprints.
I love you both,
Thomas Chase.

No comments: