Wednesday, April 2, 2008

God’s Greatest Gift by Marc McCartney 1994


It was a rainy and humid Sunday night in Waco as two Baylor freshmen, Marc and Blair, discussed what the preacher had talked about that morning. The preacher told of the awesome gifts that God has for everyone. They each the same thing on their mind that night. Marc told Blair about the greatest gift that God had ever given him…..

Growing up as a McCartney you learn one thing quick, Jesus Christ is Lord! As a kid I can remember going to hear all kinds of different Christian singer and speakers, and reading the Bible together as a family every single night. I was taught at a very young age that Jesus is Lord, and there is no compromising that fact. However, the greatest teaching came in my relationship with my parents. First of all, my mother is amazing! All of my close friends would tell you that she is the heart and soul of our family and they are right. She’s like an offensive linemen, never getting the credit that she deserves. My Mom has taught me many things, but the greatest lessons come by the way that she lives her life. Some words that come to mind about my Mom are humorous, loyal, and compassionate. My Mon’s humor has always shined through, whether it’s the sill way that she can make us all laugh or the kid in her that will let her seven year old son go to Taco Bell for his Fist Communion breakfast (by the way Mom, Taco Bell is still my favorite). Her loyalty has always been an inspiration to me. I can remember the time when she scolded and grounded my brothers because they didn’t go to one of my soccer games. She got her point across, because some of my greatest memories growing up have been to have Mike at my junior high football games, or Tom driving all the way to Pueblo to watch me in the State Championship. She also displayed her loyalty in the way that she stuck by my Dad no matter what was going on. I’ll never forget waiting for Dad after his football games. I think my favorite part of the games was to see Mom and Dad hug afterwards. My Mom is definitely compassionate. I’ll always remember the cake she made me when I didn’t make the little league all-star team, and how the whole family came out to my last game and told me that “I was their little all-star”.

My Dad is the greatest Christian man that I know. If the Bible was written today there is no doubt in my mind that there would be a book called, “Coach Mac”, I can remember going to two-a-days to watch my Dad’s to watch my Dad’s team practice and walking to lunch with him after practice. People would always want to walk with us, and when they did my Dad would never fail to share the Gospel with them. There are certain images that I have of my Dad that will always be with me. I remember his prayer list and how he would read it even when he was driving. I remember waking up each morning to the sight of my Dad in the living room reading the Bible. I also cannot recall a day in my life that Dad didn’t tell Mom how beautiful she looked, his example has taught me to bring Robin to splendor. I remember Halloween morning 1992, when we were about to play Nebraska in Lincoln for the Big Eight Championship and a shot at the National Title. Tom and Kristy and I were there for the game and instead of getting ready for one of the most important games of his life, he called a family meeting. He told Tom and I that the McCartney men needed to do a better job at showing Mom and Kristy how valuable they were to us. I was an incredible moment as we began to hug on and cry with each other. You see our Dad taught us long ago that it was okay to cry.

One thing about my Mom and Dad is that they are a great team. When we lost to Miami in 1993 we were all devastated and I was particularly upset. However, instead of feeling sorry for ourselves my parents called some of their friends over and we praised Jesus together for hours. It was a moving time when I was able to tell my Mom and Dad how much I love them, but words could never describe my feelings for them.

Hey Blair, everyone knows that the greatest gift that God ever gave us was his son. He gave me something different though, he gave me Jesus through my Mom and Dad. I don’t know why God decided to bless me so much with the parents that he gave me, but I honestly feel like the luckiest, most loved person in the world” After Blair told Marc about his parents the two knelt down together to praise God. Marc prayed and thanked his savior for the greatest gift of all, his Mom and Dad.

http://www.faithpluslife.blogspot.com/

No comments: