Wednesday, April 2, 2008

“Parents are the pride of their children” by Kristy McCartney 1994



“Parents are the pride of their children”
Proverbs 17:6

Mom and Dad, you are worthy of honor and praise for the love, commitment, and selflessness you have shown me. I am thankful you were married, had me, and stayed together through all the hard times. Your love and commitment to each other has enriched my life and the lives of my children. I thank you for giving your lives to Christ and sharing His love with me. For this I am eternally grateful. As a family we have had many good times. These are some of the memories I cherish:

FCA camps, bowl games, vacations in Florida at the McCartney’s trailer, help with science projects, extra gifts at Christmas time, visiting Grandma and Grandpa Mac, Mom sponge painting the walls, Dad making us clean the garage, doing yard work, hugging and loving me when I didn’t make cheerleader, playing telephone, Mom making our Halloween costume (and dressing up too), how special you made our birthdays, visiting Dad at practice, playing pin ball at Dad’s office, all those Girl Scout meetings, getting lost at camp, our trip to the mountains with Mom’s family, fighting in the car on road trips, Dad threatening to pull the car over, the millions of football, basketball, and baseball games, beating Notre Dame (twice!), reading the Bible before bed. There are so many memories we have made. Thank you for all of them.

Mom, as you look back on your life, it might not have gone the way you had planned. But I want you to know you have raised a daughter who thinks the world of you. l You are so beautiful to me. You are elegant, graceful, and classy (it shows in everything you do). You are supportive, loving, kind, generous, forgiving, patient, funny, and incredibly talented. I am in awe of your writing abilities. You have been through so much pain in your life, yet, you find a way to be positive and forgiving. I admire that and long to be like you. You are a role model for me as a Christian woman and mother. You have sacrificed so many things for me. I appreciate each and every one of those sacrifices with all of my heart. You have been my best friend through many tough times, never judging me, only loving and accepting me. I trust you with my deepest thoughts, fears, and joys. I am so proud that you are my Mother. I thank you, I honor you and I love you Mom.

Dad, I don’t think you realize how much I admire and respect you. When I have trouble with something and need help, I think of you. You have so much wisdom. You speak with such passion and conviction and you live that way too. Your discipline has not gone unnoticed. You had an impact on me. You are someone I look up to and strive to be like in many ways. You are a man of God, and I am proud to call you my Father. You have no idea what joy and excitement it brings me to hear you speak. At Promise Keepers ’94, I was so excited to hear you speak I could hardly contain myself. I search the radio for your speeches. For all of the speeches I have been to, from Buff Belles to Phoenix ’90, I am so proud of you. You instilled in all of us the need for God in our lives, the importance of Church every Sunday, and reading the Word daily. I am thankful for those vital truths you have given me.
Father, I thank you, I honor you and I love you Dad.

I love you Mom and Dad
Kristy

No comments: