Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rimitzing


From Pastor Dudley C Rutherford, Romancing Royalty - comes a pearl worth passing on to all. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” -- which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:46

I have heard many preachers explain that at this moment, God was turning His back on His only Son. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let me explain. Jesus was a rabbi, a teacher if you will. Rabbis often taught by the method of “rimitzing”. Rimitz is a way of “alluding to” or “referring to”. For example, if I said to you, “For God so loved the world that He gave…” then you, as the listener, would know I was referring to John 3:16.

Likewise, on the cross, when Jesus the rabbi said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” every Jewish person listening knew that Jesus was saying, “Hey folks, one thousand year ago, David predicted all of this would happen. It might look bad, but this has been the plan all along. You see this is not a cry of defeat. It is a cry of victory. God had planned from the beginning of time that I would suffer and die by the cruel torture of the cross.” Read Psalm 22 and you will understand this was all part of the plan of God, that Jesus would indeed by atonement for our sins and be the Blessed Messiah. If you don’t have your Bible’s with you Psalm 22 it’s a click away at: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+22

A pearl to string: There is much vying for our attention these days. TMI……
How does a person stay grounded, level headed and warm hearted? With a popular talk show hostess creating her own religion and so many buying into what sounds good to them we as a society are moving away from the truth of the gospel. Jesus is the only ONE who died for our sin and rose from the dead so we might have eternal life with God the Father. Everything else is either a philosophy, a human with no deity, or a physical inanimate object - none of which created you nor can they save you from death and the fires of hell. There is only ONE God. There is only ONE Savior. There is only ONE way. Oh, am I rimitzing?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me". John 14:6

In His Joy,
Lyndi

No comments: