Thursday, August 30, 2007

MIRACLE OF THE IRIS by Shirley Bruns








I had been out of the country when the information packets for "Ten Days in the Upper Room" were handed out in my church one Sunday in October of 1999. By the time I was able to sit down and examine the materials that had been prepared for our use, three days had already passed.

As I read through the steps, I wondered if condensing ten days' activities into seven would result in any meaningful, spiritual rewards. Then, I came to Step 7 regarding fasting, and my doubts vanished.

I decided I could do mental and physical fasting. I would refrain from spending two or three hours an evening watching Fox News Network, and I would give up lunches.

I had great support with my first area of fasting. . .our cable was out when we returned, and by the time TCI found out that we had been disconnected when new apparatus had been installed during our absence, I was quite able to withstand any temptations to turn on the t.v.

The second area proved to be more of a problem. When after a few days, I mentioned to my daughter, a nurse, that I felt a little dizzy, perhaps from fasting for one meal a day, she was quick to warn me of the negative effects this could have on border-line diabetics. I knew she was right, but I decided to give up at least desserts.

Three days to go, and I was wondering if God really would give me "fresh, new spiritual insights". I wanted some sign that He loved me. I stepped out onto the back patio and looked up at the beautiful blue sky, the sunshine on the golden leaves of the trees, and suddenly I raised my arms and began praising Him and thanking Him for all that He had done for me, and through me.

Then a miracle happened! I looked down upon a large pot, sitting on a picnic bench, in which had been replanted, some dwarf iris plants, descended from some my mother had taken from our family home in North Dakota to Ohio forty-four years ago. I had brought a few to Colorado about twenty-five years ago. Each year, fewer survived, and for the past two years, there had been no blooms. However, I could not give up on them. I kept watering them, and placing the pot in the sunshine, hoping for a miracle.

There it was, before my eyes, a beautiful, dark, rich purple iris, in full bloom! A day and a half earlier, there had not even been a bud when I watered them.

As I plucked out a few dried leaves, leaving the perfect flower surrounded by beautiful green leaves, I felt God's presence, telling me that I, too, though old, could still be bright and beautiful to Him. If I stay in His presence, and follow his commands, I, too, can bloom, and give joy to others. He will bring refreshing rain and invigorating sunshine into my life, and His love can shine on others through me.

I remembered that purple is the color of royalty. How appropriate! A gift from my Lord and King!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Shirley Bruns

No comments: