Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Forgiveness is a CHOICE by Kareen Rose






I was so moved by this writer
I just had to share her work
in hopes that it will bless a
hurting heart today.
Lyndi



It is a choice to let the person who hurt you go free without
repercussions. Forgiveness does not mean you approve of the actions and
if a law was broken, there could be proper punishment involved. However,
the act of forgiveness does not depend on an apology being said or
reprimands given. It is an issue of the heart, a conscious decision to
let go of the hurt and move on with your life.

When my first born grew taller than me, he also became belligerent and
violent. He stopped calling me mom and a couple of extended periods
stopped speaking to me altogether. To this day I do not understand the
reasons behind his behavior. He never chose to explain it to me. Through
tears of pain, I forgive him and let go of the hurt he inflicted on my
heart. I was able to continue to love him.

Shortly before his sudden death, we were reconciled and became a family
again. My heart sang. It did not matter if I understood his reasoning.
It did not matter if he apologized or tried to make right his wrongs
toward me. All that mattered was that I was free from the hurt because I
forgave him and now I was reaping the benefits. We were a complete
family once again.

I very seldom consider how I would feel if I had never forgiven him
before he died. Not only would I carry the grief of the death of a child,
I would have the hard, cold knot of unforgiveness to carry with it.

Does it matter that he never whispered an apology to me? No. I made a
choice to forgive my son no matter the situation. Because of that
decision, the chains that would have tied my heart into painful bondage
for the rest of my life were broken. I am free to love him and enjoy his
memory the rest of my life.

"Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for
love covers a multitude of sins
[forgives and disregards the offenses of
others]." - I Peter 4:8 Amplified Bible


by Kareen Rose, kareencarter@yahoo.com





No comments: