Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Can’t Rent God













You can rent just about anything these days: A car, a home, clothing, all types of party merriment with a magician no less. You can rent a myriad of tools, scientific journals, a fine Horse Box …… a what? It’s designed to transport your horse or donkey in complete comfort with front and rear ramp for easy loading and unloading. Hmmm sounds perfect for the busy suburban Mom hauling kids all day long – wonder if they have seat belts or maybe it could carry granny on my electric scooter? Sorry just thinking out loud. You can even rent a fence. Yes you can! You can find them at construction sites. Originally in areas where Coyotes posed a danger to the workers rented fences were temporarily installed. Now it seems rented fences are needed to protect sites from construction poachers – a two legged predator. These fences are just leased for temporary protection and are sent on to a new site when the work is completed.

I’m sure there are things you can’t rent but one thing for sure: you can’t rent God.

You wouldn’t try to rent God would you? I mean you wouldn’t just pray when things don’t go the way you think best. Or live a self directed life then expect God to bail you out in times of crisis. There are times of crisis in all our lives, times of threat to our safety, our health, our income, and our relationships. If you just need God on a rental basis only I’d worry that in your most desperate prayers for help you might hear a booming voice out of the darkness ask: Who? Oh no …… that would not be good. I know I don’t want to hear that…. Talk about a nightmare! I want to walk with God in Sonshine along the quiet shores of life. I want to enjoy being with Him and learning to trust Him because I know Him…. I know His heart. I don’t want a temporary fence of protection around my life – I want an eternity with my Savior. God tells us in His Word (Hebrews 10:38), that faith is trusting God in everything- at all times. "And those whose faith has made them good in God's sight must live by faith, trusting him in everything.” It is not something we rent and use only for those difficult periods of our lives- God’s love was designed with a forever purpose in mind.

A pearl to string: I’ve got some great news for you. If you think your faith is weak read Mark 9:24 where God’s word tells us a weak faith can become a strong faith with the Lord’s help.

In Him we are made strong,
Know you are loved
Lyndi

No comments: