Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Along the Way















Are you shouting your struggles to God? Want-Want!
Can’t find a job/hate my job, want-want!
Can’t find a life mate/don’t want this one, want-want!
My finances stink/check too small, want-want!
Can’t stand school/what future? want-want!
Sick of being sick/still breathing, want-want!
Angry? Depressed? Unhappy? Unfulfilled? Is that working for ya? Who is being blessed by you? Is God in there? There are times two emotions mix like vinegar and baking soda and the heart erupts like a volcano. Family, friends and co-workers never grow fond of being covered in emotional ash. The dog doesn’t like it either!

A young man had lost his job and didn't know which way to turn. So he went to see the old preacher. Pacing about the preacher's study, the young man ranted about his problem. Finally he clenched his fist and shouted, "I've begged God to say something to help me. Tell me, Preacher, why doesn't God answer?" The old preacher, who sat across the room, spoke something in reply -- something so hushed it was indistinguishable. The young man stepped across the room. "What did you say?" he asked. The preacher repeated himself, but again in a tone as soft as a whisper. So the young man moved closer until he was leaning on the preacher's chair. "Sorry," he said. "I still didn't hear you." With their heads bent together, the old preacher spoke once more. "God sometimes whispers," he said, "so we will move closer to hear Him."

This time the young man heard and he understood. We all want God's voice to thunder through the air with the answer to our problem. But God's is the still, small voice... the gentle whisper.

Beth Moore says: Without God on our side, where we’re going is just the ugly side of where we’ve been.

A pearl to string: Sometimes God wants to show us what we can do rather than let us find someone who can do it for us. I know now I was missing something along the way with my incessant shouting. God's whisper means I must stop my shouting and my want-want and move close to Him, until my head is bent together with His. And then, as I listen, I find the answers I seek. Better still, I find myself closer to God.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.” (Psalm 32:8 NASB)

In His love,
You are loved
Happy Valentine’s Day
Lyndi

No comments: