Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Great Wealth


For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. (1 Timothy 6:7-8)

Wow, I read that scripture this morning and my mind went back, way back in time to a discussion with a girl friend who was frustrated with me and my new found relationship with Jesus. I was actually commenting on the above verse and how content I was to be where the Lord had me and ever ready to follow His lead when she erupted. Big eyed I leaned back as her hot air filled the room. She was observing every modest aspect of my surroundings including my fragrant ‘essence of baby urp’ sweatshirt. The core of her tirade was people like me were lazy losers waiting around for some fictitious hero to save them and that I should never be satisfied with where I am. I thought: “Lord I think we both just got our butts kicked, what are You going to do?” I waited for His wisdom just didn’t realize I had received it. You know that’s true when you answer smarter than you are. Do you know words won’t change a cold, stone heart? I told her she had made some valid points that line up Biblically but I doubted that I would change her mind and she wouldn’t change my heart. I offered her pop corn & lemonade & we played with our kids. We didn’t get together much after that day. We’ve lived life in different directions but love is the only way to warm a cold heart – I’ve kept in touch for 35 years and now she lives in Colorado. Isn’t God amazing?

A pearl to string: Godliness with contentment is great wealth! (1 Timothy 6:6)
The world has moved away from modest living, contentment with little. The weight of performance, possessions and money has choked off blessings to the majority. We’re suffering a great spiritual drought. I’m not referring to healthy competition in the market place or earning a wage to provide for one’s family. Godless excess & turning away from our Creator has weakened our foundation in America. It is funny how we spend the first part of our adult life gathering and collecting and building our estates. Then a reality sets in that all our belongings are weighing us down and we begin to downsize our lives. The purging of the unnecessary creates a peaceful surrounding and fills a need for others. Those who have gone without reaching the quintessential earthly measuring stick of success and kept their eyes and hearts on Jesus may well be the wealthiest people on earth.

In His measure of goodness,
You are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: