Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Far Away



I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O LORD ; teach me your decrees. Psalm 119:10

Ann Green shares: One afternoon I was sitting outside in the swing relaxing, enjoying the nice weather, when I heard a very distinct sound coming towards me. Clop-clop, clop-clop, clop-clop, clop-clop. Horse hooves on pavement - there's something romantic to me about that sound. I looked, waiting to see the horse, and soon an older gentleman riding in his horse-drawn buggy passed in front of my house. We waved to each other and for a moment it was like I was transported to a different place and time. For a few moments, life slowed to a quieter, simpler pace, and as I watched him pass, my heart ached for a moment at the beauty of this simple sound.

Not too far down the road, a young kid came riding toward the buggy and exchanged greetings with the driver. He then turned to follow and brought his bike up along side of the horse. He asked the man, "Are you supposed to be doing this? I mean, like, is this legal?" The man simply replied, "I sure hope it is, 'cause here I am doin' it!" This answer seemed to satisfy the kid and soon after, he turned around and headed back in the direction he had been taking.

A pearl to string: "Is this legal?" Something as simple as taking a nice afternoon buggy ride, that was common practice 100 years ago, could quite possibly become illegal at some point in time. Isn't that sad? The simple, quiet, steady pace of life that our grandparents and great grandparents enjoyed is eroding away. Swept away by the hectic, over-scheduled, "fast food" lifestyle that we currently live in, those days have become stories the grandchildren hear about and soon will just be history. I bet they never dreamed we would go this far. This far away, that is, from what's truly important in life - family, friends, integrity, God.

Thankfully there is something that does not change. Something that is ever constant, ever present, ever true. That's God. He DOES NOT CHANGE. The ever constant, ever present, ever true I AM. Even if a day comes that man outlaws the reading of God's Word in public and even in private for that matter, His Word WILL NOT CHANGE. This is what we base our faith upon.

“…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

Amen!
Know that you are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: