Monday, April 13, 2009

Don’t Jump!

KTLA News
April 11, 2009

"Sin will take you further than you want to go,
keep you longer than you want to stay and
cost you more than you want to pay."

On Good Friday at the Berlin Zoo in Germany a frantic rescue took place to save a woman who had jumped into the polar bear moat at feeding time. The woman was hit several times by an adult bear while Zoo workers tossed rescue rings to lift her from the water. People distracted the other polar bears swimming nearby. The woman was being treated at a hospital for injuries that were described as severe.

Hummm…. You don’t have to be the smartest one on the block to figure out that was stupid. What possible explanation could that woman give to justify her actions? May the Lord have mercy on her and heal her quickly.

As I read this story I thought about Christians (people who have a personal relationship with Jesus and know His commandments) who jump into sin like this woman jumped into a polar bear moat at feeding time. What’s the difference? Stupid is as stupid does… didn’t Forrest Gump say that? Really, sometimes when I read about the sin of a good person gone bad I think “they have got to be dumber than a box of hair”. Where is their brain? Where is their heart? What could they have been thinking?

A Pearl to string: Sin isn’t in competition! We don’t have good sin and bad sin or even stupid sin. Sin is falling short of the glory of God. Whoa! When I put it that way it sort of includes us all. I know I don’t want any reality cameras set up at my house. Even when I don’t leave the house and no one is home I still fall short of the glory of God throughout my day. There is just no way I can overcome that myself. I need Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Resurrection Sunday – I need what I have called Easter ever since I was a little kid.

"God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners". Romans 5:8 (NLT)

It is finished, It is paid! Wow, God did it! He did it for us! I’m giving thanks for God who loves us so much and recommending to all - Don’t jump……. check with God first and wait on the Holy Spirit.

Refreshing in the glory of God,
Lyndi

No comments: