Monday, December 1, 2008

It’s Christmas Time




Let’s Sing:
I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love
Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

(I'll Be Home For Christmas - Kim Gannon, Walter Kent (c) 1943)

As a young teen girl celebrating my Christmas’ in the California sunshine each year I had to use my gift of imagination to turn my world into a winter wonderland. I just had to touch and gaze upon the red & green decorations throughout our home over and over again. I loved our Christmas tree and all the lights twinkling – so beautiful, so happy. The aroma of fresh baked cookies, cakes and the Christmas roast just made my senses dance with joy. I loved going to church, singing Christmas carols and listening to the story of the birth of Jesus. But every time I would hear the song: I’ll Be Home for Christmas, on the radio my eyes would fill with tears. My heart would feel like someone was standing on it and I’d break into these big sobs. A deep sadness would come over me. I was home so I can’t recall what troubled me so – perhaps just the thought of loved ones being separated from one another. The saddest separation of all has been living in a society that has created a secular holiday. The stark change has literally sucked the joy out of Christmas and booted Jesus out. How did giving turn into getting? And how did get to’s turn into have to’s? How did deck the halls with boughs of holly turn into the best, biggest most outrageously expensive decorations? It has all created stress beyond measure. People are angry and frustrated and tired. STOP! Dial the activity down and the spirituality up and find that celebration of Jesus birth again.

A pearl to string: Love brought Jesus to us and love is what peoples all over the world are lonely for. Let’s bring love back to Christmas. Let’s decide to slow down, give warm smiles and a helping hand or hold a door for someone. "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." (James 3:5) Can you imagine what a small amount of love from your heart would do when you reach out and bless someone else?

Let’s bring Jesus home for Christmas as He tells us "Make your home in me, as I make mine in you" (John 15:4). Home is where the heart is.

Merry Christmas
Pass the love on,
Lyndi

No comments: