Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Christmas Time 2


Let’s Sing:
Sweet little Jesus boy
They made you be born in a manger
Sweet little holy child
We didn't know who you was
Didn't know you'd come to save us Lord
To take our sins away
Our eyes was blind, we couldn't see
We didn't know who you was

Long time ago
You was born
Born in a manger low
Sweet little Jesus boy
The world treats you mean Lord
Treats me mean too
But that's how things is down here
We don't know who you is

You done told us how
We is a trying
Master you done showed us how
Even when you was dying
Just seems like we can't do right
Look how we treated you
But please Sir forgive us Lord
We didn't know it was you

Sweet little Jesus boy
Born a long time ago
Sweet little holy child
We didn't know who you was




I just want to sing this Christmas, sing the joy of the Lord and His incredible gift of life and hope to us. In searching around for songs that have deep meaning to me I came across a picture of our despicable, painful & shameful history: A picture of a group of slaves singing. The picture just drew me in for I have seen this picture many times in different forms. It’s a picture of joy under the worst kind of human oppression. How can that be? As I kept the picture on my mind I continued the song search and came across a Bayou Christian whose words and song I just have to share with you. Last Christmas Pastor Bill Crawford was preparing his very first solo for the Christmas program at the First Presbyterian Church of Thibodaux.

I’ll let Pastor Crawford take it from here: “What has struck me so strongly as I have practiced and prayed through this song is how amazing it is that men and women under the grave burden of slavery would adopt the religion of their masters so thoroughly. Then, of course, I realized slaves could identify with Christ. Born under oppression, beaten, and hung on a cross. Born to a nation that had been slaves. No wonder.
Most important though is that Jesus brings victory over death, oppression, and slavery. Through the singular work of Jesus Christ we are saved, freed, and made children of God! That my friends is Good News.
The conversion of Africans to Christianity is no testimony to Americans in fact it is part of the single most tragic piece of American if not Human history - slavery. But conversion, although it is no work of our own is an amazing display of the saving power of Christ”.

A pearl to string: Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept. (Isaiah 30:29) The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, (Isaiah 61:1)

Jesus is life giving
Joy & love dear hearts ~ Merry Christmas,
Lyndi

No comments: