Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Adversity Reveals

Do you know where you are?  When I go to the mall I know where I am. There is always a giant sign to tell me, YOU ARE HERE! What a relief I giggle to myself, I am here! I don't know why upon learning, YOU ARE HERE, that we always want to go over there instead.  Ever notice once you get there and check the sign it says, YOU ARE HERE?

Is this a test?  YES, life is a test!

John Bevere says, "that trials and tests locate a person. In other words, they determine where you were spiritually. They reveal the true condition of your heart. How you react under pressure is how the real you reacts."  Yikes!

 God’s ultimate purpose for us is to grow more into the image of His Son (Rom 8:29)
Trials develop godly character, and "suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us” (Rom 5:3-5) "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to those who love Him" (James 1:2-4,12) God has also assured us that no trial will test us beyond our ability to bear it, and “he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it” (1 Cor. 10:13)

In Old Testament times, the people of Israel, upon a victory in a battle, or a special event would build of stone a memorial or marker, sometimes referred to as a stele. They placed together stones, or created an altar where they sacrificed an animal as part of a ritual of giving thanks. This was done in remembering what GOD HAD DONE in the lives of His people. They knew He had brought them through the trial and wanted to mark the moment or time.  So years or decades later, the 'history' could be marked that indeed the Lord had been good and brought them through a challenge or delivered His grace and power and might for just the right occasion.

A pearl to string: The horse is a powerful animal, yet with the tug of the reins, nudge of a knee or the tap of a heel, he will submit to his master’s bidding.  On the other hand, a wild stallion that has not been brought under the control of a master is of very little use. I'm not crazy about trials and I've often asked the Lord, "are you sure you have the right address?" but I don't want to be a useless wild stallion. So I memorized Job 40:4, “I put my hand over my mouth” and obey and watch what the Lord is doing. Ok, maybe I kick up a little dust sometimes but I'm growing cuz God is bigger than all my trials..

He is Amazing Grace!
Count your steles
And know you are loved,
                                   Lyndi      

No comments: