Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Forever Never

This is such a mean, lonely world for so many.  There is much suffering going on around the world. Some of which I can not even fathom the depth or breadth.  With our grand forms of instant communication we stand witness to the poverty of life but living it is quite another matter.  Don't you just want to shout into the darkness of peoples suffering, "God can handle this for you... believe in Him, trust in Him, relax in Him".

Robert Strand, in his book, Especially for the Hurting Heart, has a wonderful discussion of Hebrews 13:5 in which we read these encouraging words: "God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you!"

Strand asks, "Whatever does never mean?"  He notes that in the original language "never" is really a compounding of five negatives. Not that each negative is added to another. Rather, each negative is multiplied by the other. According to Strand, it really should read, "I will never, no, not ever, no never leave you or forsake you!" It is a synergistic compounding negative. It's a forever never which has no exceptions!

Then he asks, "What does 'leave' mean?"  He says that in the original Greek it means "to leave behind, to abandon, to give up on, to send back."  Well then, so far our verse will read: "I will never, no not ever, no never leave you behind, abandon you, give up on you, or send you back!"

Finally he asks, "What does 'forsake' mean?"  In the Greek it means, "to leave one in a helpless state, to disregard." It also can be further expanded to include "not relaxing my watchfulness over you." To this point, then, says Strand, our verse, in the full, amplified version reads: "I will never, no not ever, no never give up on you, abandon you, leave you behind, cause you not to survive, leave you helpless, nor shall I ever relax concerning keeping my presence with you!"

A pearl to string: Just want to pray His peace into your loneliness, into your pain, pray His healing into your suffering and pray His love surround you completely for I have learned Jesus truly means: "I will never, no not ever, no never give up on you, abandon you, leave you behind, cause you not to survive, leave you helpless, nor shall I ever relax concerning keeping my presence with you!" Hebrews 13:5

May the words of His love comfort you.
You are loved.
                  Lyndi

No comments: