Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Six Eggs

I am told that this is a story which is perfectly logical to all males: 

A wife asks her husband, "Could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6."  A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.
The wife asks him, "Why on earth did you buy 6 cartons of milk?"  He replied, "They had eggs."

I've lived this only to discover that presumption of understanding is based on our own reasoning.  Too often, I think, I do the same thing with the Lord.  I believe  that  I understand what I am reading in His Word only to discover at a later time that my presumption of understanding  was based on my own reasoning.  In God's Word Jesus taught us to pray by example (Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4).  In the 10th verse of Matthew 6 we find the words: 'thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven'.  Wow, right at the beginning of the prayer trouble erupts.  I am not seeing a lot of God's will being done on earth.... some maybe but not a lot.  Of course before I look around to others I must look at myself.... God's will being done?....some maybe but not a lot.

A pearl to string: What I see is a whole lot of need for understanding, need for acceptance, need for validation, need for encouragement. We need to be heard and we need to feel our value and live our dreams. But it all seems so centered on self.   Something seems to be askew.  In his book "The Purpose Driven Life", Rick Warren said;  "The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, peace of mind, or even your happiness. It's far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born BY his purpose and FOR his purpose".  

The only way I can understand how God's Word directs me personally is by fully depending upon the Holy Spirit. Paul wrote to the Corinthians that his words were not "wise and persuasive" but rather a "demonstration of the Spirit's power" in order that their faith "might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power" ( 1 Corinthians 2:4-5 NIV)             

I don't want to go home with 6 cartons of milk....
I want to go home with 6 eggs
Walk with Him for it is there you are truly loved,
                                                                       Lyndi

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you.  (1 Peter 4:12 NASB)
Mountain tops are for views & inspiration, but fruit is grown in the valleys.

No comments: