Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Me, Me, Me

I read in a Nancy DeMoss devotional that our lives are made up of endless variations on the word me. Our instinctive reaction to life is self-centered: How does this affect me? Will this make me happy? Why did this happen to me?  Good grief it's not enough that we each want to be the center of our own universe but we also want to be the center of everyone else's universe ---including God's. I don't think that's going to work very well. If everyone just watches out for themselves then who will serve those who can't help themselves?  Who will love the hurting peoples? Who will come alongside the oppressed and give hope?

Me-centeredness is so powerful and deeply rooted in our society that if we don't deliberately fight it we will undoubtedly live it and become veiled in false humility. I have to ask myself am I only enthusiastic and giving to efforts that involve me? Deliver me Lord! The more self focused we are the more unhappy we become.  It's true  - we were created to give outward - away from the center of self.

Tony Berti, an offensive tackle for Coach Wonderful's CU Buffs back in the early 90's said on face book recently: "Sometimes people's perception of us is not really based on us, but on their own issues and insecurities. The Lesson is that we have to be confident in who we are and know what we are about and know to try not to judge others based on our own issues and insecurities".

The years have taught me a most wonderful beauty secret with more visible results than any man made solution.... it's the study of God's Word.  "His Words evoke her beauty" (Ephesians 5:26-27MSG)

A pearl to string: Joy is my balance marker.  If I'm out of joy I am out of balance. Joy is where I don't give myself room for an opinion.... I believe God and trust the outcome to Him.  He is the God of Hope: hope always points to the future. In God our future can always be dramatically different from our past.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit". (Romans 15:13)

Love you, you, you,
                          Lyndi

No comments: