Wednesday, February 23, 2011

12 Reasons I Stopped Attending Sports Events

Thought it might be interesting to take some of the most common excuses for not going to church and use them to stop attending sporting events and here’s what you get:

1. Every time I went, they asked me for money.
2. The people I had to sit by didn't seem very friendly.
3. The seats were too hard and not comfortable at all.
4. The coach never came to call on me.
5. The referee made a decision with which I could not agree.
6. I was sitting with some hypocrites -- they came only to see what others were wearing.
7. Some games went into overtime, and I was late getting home.
8. The band played some numbers that I had never heard before.
9. The games are scheduled when I want to do other things.
10. My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.
11. Since I read a book on sports, I feel that I know more than the coaches anyhow.
12. I don't want to take my children, because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.

Hmmmm....Are our expectations a bit whacky? PEOPLE get a grip! If you are going to church to get something you will NEVER be satisfied. If you attend church to give something to your community you will be blessed beyond measure. The world loves, measures and rewards by performance according to their individual truth. God rewards for transitive giving.  He gave you a gift and when you use it to bless His people God responds with His loving abundance.

I love singing the words to the Prayer of St. Francis: "For it is in giving that we receive, It is in pardoning that we are pardoned, And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life".

Oh this beautiful paradoxical Christian life.

A pearl to string: St. Francis echoes the words of Jesus, "Freely you have received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8).  We only get what we give. Whether it's money, love, friendship, kindness, or even anger - it's in giving that we receive. What we give to this world we live in is important. If we give love, we get love. If we give hate, we get hate. It's a law, like gravity, that we can resist, but we cannot break.

R. G. LeTourneau, a Christian businessman, once said, "I shovel out and God shovels in - but God's shovel is always bigger."  It's true... God's got a bigger everything.  As my Coach Wonderful always says: "you can't out give God".

Love out my friends
                         Lyndi

No comments: