Wednesday, September 29, 2010

CHANGE WHAT?

The following words were written on the tomb of an Anglican bishop in the crypts of Westminster Abbey:  

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country. But it too seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now as I lay on my deathbed, I suddenly realize if I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world.

 Life can get pretty nasty. You have a bad day, someone says something that cuts deep, you get angry and bitter, then you completely shut down or lash out just to release the tension. You know, you’re angry. It’s not what you want or what you know you should do, but it just happens. And then there’s problems, there’s broken relationships again, and you don’t know how to fix it. Your heart gets as cold as a stone. Guess there won't be any world changing today.

A pearl to string: The single most powerful thing I have learned in my life for dealing with other humans: The Law of Power by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend:
“You only have the power to change yourself. You can’t change another person.
(How about an instant replay)
You only have the power to change yourself. You can NOT change another person.
You must see yourself as the problem, not the other person. To see another person as the problem to be fixed is to give that person power over you and your well-being. Because you cannot change another person, You are out of control. The “REAL problem lies in how you are relating to the problem person. You are the one in pain, and only you have the power to fix it”

I just can't express enough what a difference God has made in my life. Pursuing His way, His answers, His promises, His love has changed my heart and the very best advice I could ever give to another is follow after the Lord and He ".....will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you. He will remove your old heart of stone and give you a new heart of flesh. And He will put His Spirit in you and move you to follow His decrees and help you to keep His laws." - Ezekiel 36:26-27

In His Sonshine,
You are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: