Wednesday, July 21, 2010

REMEMBER THE DUCK?




There's an old story about a little boy visiting his grandparents on their farm that illustrates beautifully how much God wants you to be free of your past. The little boy was given a slingshot to play with, out in the woods. He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit the target. Getting discouraged, he headed back to dinner.

As he was walking back, he saw Grandma's pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let fly, hit the duck square in the head and killed it. He was shocked and grieved. In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the woodpile, only to see his sister watching. Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.

After lunch that day Grandma said, "Sally, let's wash the dishes."

But Sally said, "Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen today, didn't you Johnny?" And then she whispered to him, "Remember the duck?" So Johnny did the dishes.

Later Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing, and Grandma said, "I'm sorry, but I need Sally to help me make supper."

But Sally smiled and said, "Well, that's all right because Johnny told me he wanted to help." And she whispered again, "Remember the duck?" Sally went fishing and Johnny stayed.

After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's, he finally couldn't stand it any longer. He went to his Grandma and confessed that he killed the duck. She knelt down, gave him a hug, and said, "Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing. But because I love you, I forgave you. But, I was just wondering how long you would let Sally make a slave of you before you confessed it to me."

A pearl to string: I don't know what's in your past. I don't know what one sin the enemy keeps throwing up in your face. But whatever it is, you need to know Jesus was also standing at the window and He saw the whole thing.... He has seen your whole life. He loves you..... He will forgive you if you will only ask. Perhaps He's wondering how long you will let the enemy make a slave out of you.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

"Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. (Psalms 32:5)

The great thing about Jesus is that He not only forgives, but He forgets.
Remember you are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: