Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Empty Well Syndrome


“When we continue to seek water (love, affirmation, etc.) from someone who can’t or won’t give it we are like the one seeking water from a “bad” well. What is the name for such an unhealthy pattern? I call it the Empty Well Syndrome. Why do we go back to an empty well when we know it’s empty or toxic, repeating our own history of defeat? Jesus we need you to help us see what we do not see!”

The paragraph above is an excerpt from facebook. I was drawn to the statement. It stirred up so many thoughts but I was feeling a check in my spirit too. Actually I would have agreed with that statement in my youth while roaming about in my own valley. I saw things from my need, from my perception or expectation of how life should be and how I should be treated by other people. Conveniently if one lived according to my expectation I would first benefit and then the other person would surely benefit if I did. Hum? Where do you suppose I can find that in God’s Word? It was not a sinister plot I just wanted to be happy all the time and have everything go my way. Hollywood style? Cinderella dream? Mix a little romance, a little world way, a little Bible love and life could be so good. What a recipe for disaster I had going in my life! I know … you could see that coming a mile off….SPLAT! Some people learn from other people’s mistakes and some people have to be the “other” people…. But we “other” people do learn.

This may not be the direction or meaning the original author intended but it seems to be where God is leading me this morning.

As I’ve grown in my relationship with the Lord I’ve discovered (as have you) it’s not about me or my thinking or my perception in my time frame. God does not operated on human time tables He operates out of eternity. You see, unless we are cast into times in which we are completely at God's mercy for breakthroughs in our lives, we will never experience God's faithfulness in those areas.

When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -- Edward Teller

A pearl to string: Life isn’t always at it appears. (Objects in the side or rear view mirror may be distorted) With the Empty Well Syndrome is the well really empty? Or is the well empty of what I think should be in it? Could it be that I am drawn to the well repeatedly so I might discover the treasure God has yet to teach me. "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name." (Isaiah 45:3)

God has not given up on any of us,
He patiently waits for you to come to Him,
You are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: