Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Thursday kind of Love


When patience is prudent

Older women are to train younger women to love their husbands and children. (Titus 2:4)

Good grief ladies don’t you already love your husband and children? I hear a vague response… what’s that? Could you speak up please? Yeah, but not last Thursday? I smile for I have known a few Thursdays. Well the Bible tells us we need training so it must be true.

I don’t know how it came to be that I turned into the older one but here it goes. I’ll give you my best shot. The secret I found is in how the Lord loves me. In John 15:12 Jesus says, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” Well how does the Lord love me? 1) Has He been patient with me? 2) Has He sacrificed for me? 3) Does Christ know me & love me anyway? 4) Is Christ prejudiced against me? 5) Can I do anything to separate myself from His love?

In answering “yes” to the first three questions and “no” to the last two you have a pretty good idea of how to love your husband and children.

When you are patient though you feel like flying off the handle;
When you put your needs aside for your husband’s;
When you know their obvious weaknesses, but love them anyway,
you are loving your family with Christ-like love.
When you demonstrate love without playing favorites or love no matter what your husband or children have done, you are loving them as Christ loves you.

A pearl to string: This kind of love can be learned because it is not an emotion, it is ACTION. The Bible tells us that we must not just speak words of love, but we must show our love through our actions. If you are struggling with loving turn to the Lord and ask Him to help you understand His love for you. And let that love flow through you to your husband and children. You see, my friend, the only reason you and I can love at all is because He first loved us.

We are His first love,
In that you can grow
Lyndi

No comments: