Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Magnificent Obsession

It’s one of my favorite movies from the 50’s and one that influenced my young life. I grew up in Hollywood (the industry not the city) and my Dad was a writer. Being exposed to that make believe life style definitely played a role in the wrong notions I gained about life. But the pearl I gleaned from that movie still holds true today.

The movie takes place in a small lakeside town, millionaire playboy (isn’t that an old fashion word) Bob Merrick recklessly crashes his speedboat, and after the town's only resuscitator is requisitioned to save his life, hospital head Dr. Wayne Phillips suffers a heart attack and dies without the machine. Hours later, Wayne's wife of six months, Helen Phillips is horrified to learn that the notoriously rude and irresponsible Merrick has been saved instead of her husband Wayne. Guilt ridden and filled with fascination for the widow Merrick's persistence causes another tragedy, and he must remake his life, including going back to medical school, in an attempt to make amends and win the widow’s love.

It was a love story with many obstacles to overcome but what caught my heart was the description of the man, Dr Wayne Phillips, who died early on in the movie. How he lived the magnificent obsession that grew from his philanthropy and works of great generosity in private and without compensation. I was absolutely mesmerized during the scene in the movie between Dr. Phillips’ close friend, Edward Randolph, and reckless Bob Merrick:

Edward Randolph: Once you find the way, you'll be bound. It will obsess you. But believe me, it will be a magnificent obsession.
Dr. Bob Merrick: [of a plan to do anonymous good works] Well, if it's as simple as all that, why, I'll certainly give it a chance.
Edward Randolph: Now wait, Merrick! Don't try to use this unless you're ready for it! You can't just try this out for a week like a new car, you know! And if you think you can feather your own nest with it, just forget it. Besides, this is dangerous stuff. One of the first men who used it went to the Cross at the age of thirty-three...

A pearl to string: Jesus compassion was not for His personal glory and I doubt that it was ever done to please some private internal emotion. I wanted to be just like Jesus where compassion would inspire me to act in the best interest and for the greater good of those in need, without calling attention to myself or listing my sacrifices. Although raising a family and being married to a high achieving famous person I have fallen to the temptation a time or 100 to do the very thing I did not want to do: Listing to people with skin on – forgive me Lord.

Matthew 6:1 “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven”. New Living Translation
“Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding”. The Message Translation

Loving God and tender Shepherd, use me each day to be a blessing to someone in need.
We are in His compassionate care,
Lyndi

No comments: