Monday, October 8, 2007

Yikes, Fried Again!











October 8, 2007

Ever received a tongue lashing? Ever given one? It makes a body want to scream, “Yikes, fried again”! When the little fleshy organ inside your mouth goes on a despicable tirade because you were what…… tired? Hurt? Insulted? Didn’t agree? “Reckless words pierce like a sword.....” Proverbs 12:18 “For out of the overflow of his heart the mouth speaks”. Matthew 12:34, Luke 6:45

Well you’ve probably heard or said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that”! “I can’t believe I said that, or I wish I had not said that”. “Can you forgive me and forget I said that?” You can say you are sorry, you can ask for forgiveness and receive it but the truth is………… the damage is done. Once those ill fated words left your mouth and are out there the chances of taking them back are nil.

In Proverbs 18:21 we read, "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." In days of yore when a king spoke a decree, there was no rescinding it. Even if the King realized he had made a mistake in judgment the ruling was rendered regardless of the terrible cost.

Many of us struggle with our speech. We hear inappropriate, over the top, mean spirited speech in our homes, at work, in our schools, sporting events, malls, even church parking lots. It’s just downright ugly. It is everywhere we go. Scripture gives solid advice to this malady. There are many who genuinely resolve to think before they speak and lean on God’s Word. "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin." Psalms 39:1. Oh Lord, "Set a guard over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3 (that’s my personal favorite)

Nice but remember "The tongue is a small part of the body, ...consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." (James 3:5) Coping with a mean spirited tongue is like dealing with a dragon and you know what they say about that: Don’t mess with dragons for you are good and crunchy with ketchup!

A pearl to string: The bottom line here is the tongue only says what is already set in the heart. The problem really isn’t the mouth….. Oh no, pass the tissues we’ve got heart issues. Remember what your Grandmother use to say? Count your blessings! Why? Because a heart full of gratitude doesn’t have room for ugly. “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer”. Psalms 19:14

Change my heart oh God,
Lyndi

No comments: