Thursday, July 19, 2007

My Board of Directors












Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses . . .
let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12:1


I read once, long ago, about the concept of each person acquiring a personal “board of directors” to implement a plan to preserve the well being and strength in your every day life. The people with this sphere of influence in your life could be alive today or have lived in the past, known to you personally or perhaps only known to you through their writings and accomplishments. They are the people from whom you would seek advice.

In Hebrews 11 we have many heroes of faith mentioned challenging us to "run with endurance the race that is set before us" (12:1-2). Throughout the Word of God there are people whose faith presents a wealth of help and encouragement for us all.

Who would you choose to be on your board of directors?
Who would I choose?

The chairman of my board of directors would be first and foremost Jesus Christ for it is His wisdom and direction I seek above all else. I have some spots open for appointment but as I begin to think about this I realize some spots have been occupied for years.

The 1st seat belongs to Onesiphorus; bless you! oh no, that wasn’t a sneeze! He’s been my hero since I was a little girl. He cheered his friend Paul and was not ashamed of him when he found him in prison. I’ve always wanted to bring cheer to everyone; friends, strangers, and even mean people. Sometimes especially mean people – they steal the joy of life - you get them cheered up then all those around them can enjoy the moment.

The 2nd seat would be my grandmother, my mother’s mother who always turned me towards the Lord. She taught me the difference between conviction and condemnation. And she gave me a life long song to sing from my soul.

My beloved husband would occupy the 3rd seat. As the head of our household he brought to each one of our family members a pathway to salvation. He provided spiritual events through the years which would allow each individual to invite Jesus into their heart to be their Savior and Lord of their life. As a wife and mother who has a few years of life experience there is nothing more important to my heart than my husband and my children having a heart for God.

The 4th seat has to be a long couch for there sit the ladies who lived the heart and soul of my days on earth with me. They represent time segments of my adult days on earth. They are treasures of solace and wisdom and joy and laughter. When I see them it lights up portions of my life that lie dormant and allows me to celebrate all of who I am. It is these trusted friendships that taught me compassion by way of sliding into the center of each others broken heart. We have shared deeply feeling the sobbing of our souls – the raw, red crucible of emotional agony. We have heard each others silent screams and wept side by side. When you’ve shared the pain of life so deeply that your soul is wretched with your friend’s pain then the healing touch from the Lord comes for two. When you are hurting badly you need someone to love you deeply. It’s that kind of love that lights up my life.

Seat 5 has been occupied by my she-ro (lady hero). Mary, mother of our Lord Jesus. Mary never threw hissy fits. Not only would I like to emulate her ladylike demeanor but I aspire to her Holy Spirit lead courage and I find no one else on earth like her. One would need immense courage to give birth to and rear your own Savior and then witness His crucifixion. These are events worthy of deep contemplation. It hurts my heart that there are so few women in public places that are Godly examples. The young women of today seem more interested in competing with men in politics, business and athletics or being sexy, famous and dripping in money and bling bling. Women need lady heroes as their inner compass or their North Star – Mary is mind.

The 6th and final seat belongs to Dr. Peter Marshall, Scottish Pastor and Chaplin of the US Senate in the late 1940's. Though he died in 1949 and I never actually heard him preach I was mesmerized by the movie of his life in 1955. I wanted to marry a man who loved God like that. It confused me a little when reality wasn't as glamorous as a movie and it's challenging to move through life without music signaling changes. It took some time for God to bring my husband to the point of loving God with that same intensity and passion I saw in Dr. Peter Marshall but ah lass, my prayers were in fact answered.




Chairman of the Board – Jesus Christ – My Creator, Savior and Redeemer
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ never changes! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

1st seat – Onesiphorus – my hero
2 Timothy 1:16 I pray that the Lord will be kind to the family of Onesiphorus. He often cheered me up and wasn't ashamed of me when I was put in jail.


2nd seat – Cora Maude Noe Chase 1873-1958 – My Gram
Luke 10:27 Gram loved the Lord with all her heart, all her soul, all her strength, all her understanding, and she loved her neighbors as herself.' She was an Onesiphorus too.

3rd seat – William Paul McCartney – My beloved husband
Joshua 24:15 Choose you this day whom you will serve: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

4th seat - The couch of daily life: Barbara Gorman, Cheryl Szczepaniak, Alana McGuire, Karen Carr, Louise Christopher, Paulette Washington
Galatians 6:2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

5th seat – Mary, Mother of our Lord Jesus
Luke 1:26.....38 ... the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a virgin engaged to Joseph, of the house of David. "Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you." "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. Mary said to the angel, "How can this be since I am a virgin?" "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore, the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. Mary said, "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word."

6th seat – Dr. Peter Marshall – Senate Chaplin
Psalm 107:9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

Now you stop and think on your life for awhile and who has had great influence for good. Choose the people you would like as your Board of Directors. This exercise will bless you. Enjoy.

No comments: