Friday, July 27, 2007

Miraculous Response to Prayer by Shirley Bruns


Forty-eight years ago today, (7/26) our youngest son, Steve, was born in Tokyo. Birthing him was an experience different from what had occurred during the births of my other children. The young technician who connected me with the tube containing liquid to induce labor had forgotten something.

"I have to find a clamp," she said. "I'll be right back". She hurried out of the room. However, it took longer than she anticipated, and by the time she returned with the clamp meant to control the rate of the drips into my vein, I was in full labor. She apologized, but there was little she could do. I could pray! Forty-five minutes had elapsed from the beginning of the procedure to the time of Steve's birth. I have been told that this could have resulted in the death of both myself and my child. I thanked God for sparing our lives.

After a week, we left the hospital for our home. Tokyo is a hot, humid, uncomfortable place in which to live in mid-summer, and with a baby with heat rash, we were eager to travel up to the mountains near Nagano. There we could spend a few cool weeks in our little cabin on a hillside near a lake, and enjoy the company of other missionary families from the United States and Europe who summered there. So we packed our bags and took off with our children for Lake Nojiri.

We did have a concern - while still in the hospital, one of our baby's breasts began to show signs of a possible infection. Our doctor seemed to think it would be all right in a few days, but by the time we arrived in Nojiri, it had become worse. The services of a young Japanese doctor from a Christian hospital had been arranged for the use of those of us who came during the summer. During mid-afternoon of the first day after our arrival, we took Steve over the hillside to the doctor's clinic for a check-up.

The news was devastating! The doctor's diagnosis was that he had developed a staph infection, and although he prescribed medication, our baby, since he was so young, would have only a 50/50 chance of survival. I asked him what would be signs that would indicate the medications weren't working, and that we might lose him. He said that if his slight fever suddenly developed into a high fever, that would be the first sign.

We watched him carefully for the rest of the day, and we prayed for his healing. At night, while everyone else was asleep, I was still awake, concerned about Steve. It was a very dark, moonless night. On the side of our hill, there were no street lights. It was completely dark inside our bedroom. . .I could not see a thing. Every so often, I would slip out of bed and feel my way over to the baby crib and carefully place my hand where I thought Steve's head would be to check his temperature. For awhile, there seemed to be no change, and then. . .suddenly, my hand came in contact with a very, very hot little forehead. I immediately straightened up, and standing beside the bed, with eyes open, I began praying for a miracle. . .for God to heal Steve. . .to spare his life.

And then that's when I saw something I had never seen before: against the darkness of the room there appeared to be white, milkish-colored streams of light moving around the room. . .up and down and around in swirls. I had a tingling sensation throughout my entire body. "That has to represent God", I thought. "He's letting me know He's here with us, and will heal my little boy." And then the swirls disappeared.

Confidently, I put my hand upon his head. . .where just a few moments ago it had been extremely hot, now it felt completely normal!!!!! God had performed a wonderful miracle before my eyes, and allowed me to see and feel His presence.

No one can ever convince me that there is not a God who loves us and answers our prayers!!!!
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Shirley Bruns
July 26, 2007

P.S. Steve is now a pastor in a large church in Norway where God has been blessing his and his wife, Anne Kristin's ministries. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!!

No comments: