Wednesday, October 24, 2012

One Two Three

“It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.”  Lena Horne 

I thinks of the load in one's day as a pile of irritants that I gritch & moan about but a burden is a deep pain in my heart.  Most of us shoulder our burdens alone and share our loads with friends but God intends for us to share our burdens and carry our own loads.  “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”(Galatians 6:2)  In this verse burden in the Greek translates into boulder; a boulder is something that is too heavy for an individual to carry alone. Scripture also says: “ … for each one should carry his own load.” (Galatians 6:5 ) Load in the Greek translates into knapsack; a knapsack is something that each individual is responsible to carry on his own. So, there are boulders and there are knapsacks. We are to help carry one another’s boulders but not one another’s knapsacks. When we carry one another’s knapsacks we get in the way of their maturing process.  

Among the new verbs created out of nouns, “efforting” won't be found in your dictionary but it seems so appropriate here.  It means struggling unnecessarily in an effort to do something. It could be illustrated by pushing a car to your destination when it would be much easier to start the engine and drive it. When I find myself “efforting,” I think of Jesus’ invitation to let Him take the heavy part of the yoke, leaving me the lighter side. He does not necessarily say that He will carry all of my baggage. Yet, He does promise that when we accept His invitation, He will gladly lighten our load.   
 
(Matthew 11:25-30) Abruptly Jesus broke into prayer: “Thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth. You’ve concealed your ways from sophisticates and know-it-alls, but spelled them out clearly to ordinary people. Yes, Father, that’s the way you like to work.”  Jesus resumed talking to the people, but now tenderly. “The Father has given me all these things to do and say. This is a unique Father-Son operation, coming out of Father and Son intimacies and knowledge. No one knows the Son the way the Father does, nor the Father the way the Son does. But I’m not keeping it to myself; I’m ready to go over it line by line with anyone willing to listen.  “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”   The Message 

A pearl to string: God gave us the formula in His Word. First, turn to Him, second give up control, and third trust Him and follow.  

First: He said, “Come to Me.” There is no peace outside of Christ. Too many Christians are living with one foot in Christ and one foot in the world. There will be no peace for those who do not come completely to Him. Second: To take up the yoke of Christ is to give up control to Him. The yoke is a symbol of partnership. Christ is right next us, yoked with us to help us with our load. A yoke is also a symbol of guidance. Yoked with Christ, we can only move in His direction and at His pace. But we must give Him first place and give up our control. Third: Giving up control always leads us to trust Him. If we let Christ guide and control us, we trust Him. Without trust, we can not follow.  

In His grace
You are loved,
                   Lyndi

No comments: