Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Changing the Face of Love

I must be getting old – a quick glance and I see my mother’s hands at the end of my arms – yes I am getting old. I think I’m getting a little cranky too because I do not like what I am seeing on TV. Pardon my spew but show after show after show and over half the commercials deal with illicit sexual content. What is that teaching our young people? Just this week the Parents Television Council reports the broadcast television networks favor adultery and promiscuity over marital intimacy, and in a new study, suggests that “many in Hollywood are actively seeking to undermine marriage by consistently showing it in a negative manner.” In addition the violence is so graphic and it’s ok to use foul language and use the Lord’s name in a disrespectful & highly offensive manner. The choices have grown very small as to what various age groups can view on TV these days. The Disney channel is about where regular TV was 40 years ago – in need of parental guidance. We’re down to a few game shows, sports, men quit laughing, and a small percentage of the reality shows. That’s about it.

I was reading in 1st Corinthians chapter 8 where Paul is addressing some of the issues of the day that members of the church had requested his counsel. And while I am aware he is addressing dietary issues the 9th verse just leapt off the page at me.

But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat and no better if we do. Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. -- 1 Corinthians 8:8-9NIV

String a pearl: In the God’s Word translation, “But be careful that by using your freedom you don't somehow make a believer who is weak in faith fall into sin”.

Yep, that’s verse 9 again – different translation – yes I am repeating it – instant replay if that terminology is more comfortable. We have so much freedom in this country that we have run amok! We’re changing the face of love. What does TV show the face of love to be? Certainly not family – God maybe?  Not on my TV. Wow, if this keeps up we’re all going to be forced to turn the big box off and talk to each other. Oh Revelation!

I don’t know what the face of God looks like but I love the familiar optical illusion of Him where truths about God are etched in His face. I think I would also see my husband, my family, my friends, my church and myself in the face of His love. You too?

You are loved,
Lyndi

No comments: