Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hunt for the Treasure

Parable:  A traveler, fleeing a tiger that was chasing him, ran till he came to the edge of a cliff. There he caught hold of a thick vine, and swung himself over the edge.  Above him the tiger snarled. Below him he heard another snarl, and behold, there was another tiger, peering up at him. The vine suspended him midway between two tigers.  Two mice, a white mouse and a black mouse, began to gnaw at the vine. He could see they were quickly eating it through. Then in front of him on the cliff side he saw a luscious bunch of grapes. Holding onto the vine with one hand, he reached and picked a grape with the other. How delicious! That’s the end of the parable. 

Huh??? That's it??? Well how does the story end? Does the man get eaten by one of the tigers? Does he manage to find a way of escape? That's the fun thing about parables.  They are stories that don't have a traditional beginning,  middle or an end.  You have to hunt for the treasure.  

A pearl to string:  I know myself that I can sometimes be so focused on wanting to know what's going to happen in the future that I fail to enjoy what I have right here, right now.  There will always be good times as well as plenty of trials in life and countless difficulties to overcome.  But look up from your trouble and see that you are surrounded by countless blessings from God: a breath taking sunrise, a blanket of snow, seeing your breath on a frosty morning, a steaming cup of aromatic coffee, the fireplace flickering, my husband in his easy chair reading God's Word and our little dogs curled up beside me.... now that's a bunch of grapes! 

Is it possible to focus on the blessings at hand even when we are bobbing in a sea of difficulties and we don't know how the story will turn out? For a child of God, it is not only possible, it is essential that we learn to do so.  "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:11-12) 

Are you surrounded by tigers today? Take a moment to enjoy the grape that God has placed right in front of you.

Know you are loved,
                             Lyndi


No comments: