Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Un-thrown Stones

Up at a ghastly hour one morning checking out face book for prayer fodder when I hit pay dirt. A gentleman wrote: "I am learning that the term "best friends" often makes its way to the people you thought were yours....People who claim God as their compass are the worst in my experience".  Whoa..... that's thought provoking. I had several different reactions...... I bet you will too and I'd love to hear where this question led you.

First I climbed right into the pain of a "Christian best friend" behaving in a manner that would break hearts. How devastating to have that happen more than once in a lifetime. Then this voice came into my head, what difference does it make if their skin is Christian? Is this a love crime?  People seem to expect the world to act like the Word, but when "members" of the Body of Christ act like the world it sends shockwaves to the soul.

Uh oh, I seem to be moving right into judgment.  I'm thinking if any of us is experiencing a painful situation over and over again then maybe it's not the situation that is the problem. One of my personal struggles in life has been EXPECTATION. I have grown through pain and prayer to give it the 1, 2, 3 punch when my expectations of others goes off kilter.

1. The Law of Power by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend:  “You only have the power to change yourself.  You can’t change another person.  You must see yourself as the problem, not the other person.  To see another person as the problem to be fixed is to give that person power over you and your well-being. Because you cannot change another person, You are out of control. The “REAL problem lies in how you are relating to the problem person.  You are the one in pain, and only you have the power to fix it”
2. Jesus died for my sins…..and He died for those who sin against me.
3. Forgiveness is the perfume that the trampled flower casts back upon the foot that crushed it

A pearl to string: “People do things for their own reasons, not yours” I don't have any stones to be throwing at anyone. Let him who never made a mistake, or poor choice, or stupid decision. or let anybody down...cast the first stone. "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone..." (John 8:7b) "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matt. 5:44) do good to those who hate you" (Luke 6:27)

Margaret Lee Runbeck said: "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."  I might add travel well and don't let the baggage block your view.

You are loved,
                Lyndi

No comments: