Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pretty Blue Sky


CONFABULATE. It’s a real word! It came in my email this morning for my word of the day. It means to chat, confer or fill in gaps in memory by fabrication. Hummm, I seem to do a lot of confabulating these days. It’s not done to be intentionally deceptive. It’s more like when I was a kid I had to do something with the holes in the picture I was drawing. I loved to fill those holes with pretty blue sky. So when I confabulate it’s just a little pretty blue sky for the holes in my memory.

It’s that time of year when my memory goes dancing. Christmas time is such a lovely, fun time of the year. The memories of yesteryear hold joy and plenty of blue sky. These days controversy swirls everywhere. Instead of singing we’re arguing, instead of giving we’re complaining, instead of honoring we’re dismantling - all in the name of diversity? Yikes, makes a body want to just go home, close the doors, keep the TV off, turn the phone off and pull out the boxes of stored Christmas decorations. I love to decorate our home when it’s cold outside – snowing is the best time. I light the logs in the fireplace, turn on the Christmas music and brew some cinnamon tea. Sipping and humming I ponder the wonder of how God trimmed our world with the sun and the moon and all the twinkling stars to light our way and bring us warmth and joy. All the shimmering lights that are strung around the houses, in the trees, on the boughs and intertwined in wreaths reflect His handiwork to me. God colored our world with four uniquely different seasons and all His creation reaches up to Him in praise with every branch and leaf turned towards the sun. How beautifully He ornamented our lives with animals to love and care for and people to figure out and be in relationships that reflect His character. It is in giving that we receive. Love is not a “feeling” – love is an action.

The Scriptures say, "God commanded light to shine in the dark." Now God is shining in our hearts to let you know that his glory is seen in Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6)

A pearl to string: Love is our Father’s character and He gave each one of us a heart to hold Him and seek Him then sent us the Christ child to believe upon to keep us united with Him for all eternity. Now that is an action that I can celebrate. That’s no holiday – that’s Christ’s Mass – A celebration of God’s love, His communion with His people.

We are His, we came to sup with Him and be in His everlasting love,
Merry Christmas and pretty blue sky,
Lyndi

No comments: