Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What in the World?


In a devotional Sharon Jayne’s gives Biblical definition to the world. She notes darkness is waiting for us the moment we step out the front door, turn on the television, or listen to the 6:00 o'clock news. The world is full of darkness at every turn.

What exactly is the world? In the Bible, there are several definitions. One definition refers to all the people on the earth: "For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son (John 3:16). In some instances, the word "world" refers to planet earth itself.

Other times "world" refers to the world systems, values, and morals. Paul refers to these world systems when he says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world," (Romans 12:2). Jesus said that the "world" hated him and we shouldn't be surprised if it hates us as well (John 15:18, 19). Both refer to the world systems, values, or ways of thinking.

The Bible also tells us "that the whole world is under the control of the evil one" (1 John 5:19). It seems like we are "splitting hairs" here. But when we consider the power of the enemy and the pull of the world systems, they are almost one in the same. Right now, the world systems are being heavily influenced by the evil one.
But here's the hope! Jesus said, "But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). As long as we live in the world, we will feel its pull, but God assures us that we have what it takes to "overcome the world" (1 John 5:4, 5). We have the power of the Holy Spirit living in us and faith in the Victor who works through us.

A pearl to string: I get weary of the world’s pull. It stresses me even more when I see my friends pulled and yanked around by the world system. In my life time I’ve seen what I was taught and believed to be right become wrong. There is no stability in the world and its mores. I found the peace that passes all human understanding in Jesus. (Philippians 4:7) I don’t want to go back to that see-saw existence the world offers and keep wondering, ‘what in the world’?

There’s a love that leads me
There’s a love that frees me
There’s a love that heals me
And the love of Jesus is there for you too,

Lit by Sonshine,
Lyndi

No comments: