Monday, January 12, 2009

I see toes



Suffering? Oh my goodness there is so much suffering going on in this world. Things that are so foreign to me I cannot even imagine the horror or the depth or breadth of the pain. There is no way to measure pain or compare it or judge it. When it’s your pain it’s monumental.

More than a decade ago I hit a snag in my life that rendered me hopeless and functionless. It’s rather like being the baseball that satan hit out of the park. He’s thinking homerun – you’re not even thinking – just hurting as you hurl through the air for some unknown destination. If the sudden stop doesn’t kill ya you groan and bleed awhile. Depression sets in and red rimmed eyes become your only fashion statement. Paul Tillich said, “Depression is rage spread thin”. Learned that was true as I wailed on the floor day after day. You know when you cry a lot you get all clogged up and you need many boxes of Kleenex. I reached for the box crunched beneath my body only to find it empty. I opened my eyes and with a sudden inward breath of surprise I see toes! Jesus is here!

I’d been a Christian for a long time but that was a defining moment for me. Nothing in the world was more important than those beautiful toes of Jesus. I’ve never left them. At Jesus feet comes healing. Healing isn’t just a physical thing. You can look fabulous on the outside and be a gnarly mess in your soul. Adversity introduces you to yourself and sometimes it’s shocking ugly. Life just isn't fair and that IS in the Bible. Fair is such a secular expectation. Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world”. (John 16:3)

A pearl to string: When I’m hurting and praying for those who are suffering I try to focus on all the great fertilizer in the valleys of life. That's where we do our most and best growing - closer and closer to the Lord. No one grows on top of a mountain! It's just a pleasant experience and a great panoramic view.

“Suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope”. (Romans 5:3-4)

Corrie ten Boom, (April 15 1892 – April 15 1983) was a Dutch, Christian Holocaust survivor who helped many Jews escape the Nazis during World War II. I’ll close with one of her quotes:

“You may never know that JESUS is all you need, until JESUS is all you have”.

Know you are loved,
Lyndi

Dearest Lyndi:
You don't know how timely and encouraging this message is for me.
Let me explain. Just two minutes ago, I sent an email out to a group of "prayer warriors" to pray for our friend, Debbie. I'm not sure if you remember her, but for many years, she has been the leader of our Womens Mininstry at Vinelife Church (a black woman from New Orleans).. my dearest friend. Well, this morning she went to the hospital for more tests. Bottomline, her kidneys are not functioning; bad reaction to meds & steroids causing her body to balloon; battling depression; barely able to walk. As I pray and ask others to WAR for her... the Holy Spirit quickens as my eyes fall upon your words "I see toes".

You see, 20 some years ago, I heard a testimony from a woman friend of Aldolf Coors. She shared how upon giving her life to Christ, the enemy came quickly to take it. She battled through 17 operations, faced many goodbyes to her children and friends, yet never lost sight of the Word of God planted deep within her soul that spoke... "By His Stripes I'm Healed". Her hope was in HIM.

Facing her last and final battle, she shared how she went to put on a hospital gown to prepare for yet another xray before surgery. From the top of her head to the souls of her feet, her scar ridden body from countless operations, was the color of gray ash. She had no hair left on head from all of the chemo and radiation treatments. Her body weighing 60 some lbs. Oh, the pain and agony she had endured, and now yes, preparing once more ....not knowing the outcome, she is trusting her Lord.

That day, within a barren cold cubical a strange thing happened. . As she put on her gown, her eyes glanced down. Startled, she stepped back to see toes.... "pink toes". With the first thought, "Whose?", the warmth of God's Presence came down like warm honey, over her head and down over her body, like the balm of Gilead. It was at that moment, she realized God had healed her.

Yes, today "I see toes". His toes standing with mine. As you have said, dear friend...
“You may never know that JESUS is all you need, until JESUS is all you have”.

PS... the ending to this story ...This couragious woman wondered as she stepped up to the xray table if those around her would see she was healed. It wasn't until the second (or was it third xray) that they realized what had happened. You see, the xray not only showed she was healed, but there were organs that had previously been removed, now in place and fully functioning in her body. I was advised this is on record in the Dallas, Tx hospital where it took place.
PSS... this is but the beginning to our story.
Love you, Melody

No comments: