Tuesday, February 12, 2008

You Gotta Have Heart


Love is such an odd thing. We all want it and we all want to give it. Somehow the confusion begins right at that juncture. Our common human characteristic is our need to count in someone else’s life. At least one other person needs us, we tell ourselves, when we feel least able to accept life’s demands. How alike we all are. The paradox is that our own need for love is lessened when we bestow it on others. Choosing to offer love, rather than look for it, will influence every experience we have. Give it away and it returns. So we eventually learn that love isn’t about what “I” can get. True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. Author Unknown

Most people want to find true love, a mate to share their life with – ah….. Then comes marriage! Now there’s a blast from 45 years of experience. In the early going the 'my way' thing turns into the battle of the egotists and it's an I for an I. Through the struggles and the joys, the hurts and the healings, and the tug a wars and the victories Coach Wonderful and I know marriage brings you closer to the Lord. But the key to a long love life is dying to yourself – actually it is the key to much of what we do here on earth. Dying to yourself is like a God directed prescribed burn. It clears out the underbrush of self and improves the hungering and thirsting of your soul while strengthening temptation deliverance and seriously reducing the noxious weeds of daily life. It never gets easier to die to yourself and there always seems to be another deeper layer of pride with which one has to deal. But it is the most direct path to love.

A pearl to string: Growing and learning to love God seems to be the most beautiful way to love others from my 65 years of life perspective. Benjamin Franklin (another old dude) said, “Loving others promises me the love I desire. But I can’t expect it if I don’t give it first.”

My friend, your love has made me happy and has greatly encouraged me.
It has also cheered the hearts of God’s people.

Philemon 1:7/CEV

You gotta have heart to love others and you gotta have love to have heart.
You gotta have God to have love because God is love.

Getting me out of the way and
Loving in Son shine – Happy Valentine’s Day,
Lyndi

No comments: