Sunday, June 10, 2007

Whack & Walk Game













June 13, 2007

The Whack and Walk Game

It took some mighty persistent coaxing (some say nagging) to get Coach Wonderful to teach me how to play golf. Or as my friend Yvonne calls it the Whack & Walk game. Finally, one morning he relented and off we went. The first hole was a par 3, 179 yards, and quite lovely. Coach Wonderful stepped up first and said, "Now watch me, and do the same thing." He hit a beautiful shot and landed on the green with about 30 feet to the cup.

I stepped up, whacked that little dimpled baby, causing it to hook way right, ricochet off a tree, bounce off a rock and roll up onto the green - dropping into the cup.

Coach Wonderful looked somewhat irritated, and said, "OK, now you know how to play, let's go home."

I didn’t do well in golf for some reason. I guess it wasn’t my game but at least I was consistent – consistently last. The good thing about last is it gives you a realistic view of how many fleshy mounds there are on the course.

We don’t have to whack and walk through this life. Nor do we need to be concerned that if we occasionally do something right we’ll have to stand on that alone. We have a Savior – one who will never leave us. Hebrews 13 tells us He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

I usually played golf on the sides of the course so if you find yourself in the thickets of life lean on Isaiah 10:34: “He will cut down the thickets of the forest with iron, And Lebanon will fall by the Mighty One”.

A pearl to string: I have learned that believing in Jesus is very much like belonging to a health club. You actually have to go to the club on a regular basis to gain the benefits.
And you need to be in God’s Word daily to walk closely with Jesus.

Turning in my 'whack and walk' game to be strolling with Jesus,
Lyndi


No comments: